In 1901 Mother Gonzaga Barry bought Osborne Hotel in Claremont, built by James Grave, for a new boarding school. Boarders from Adelaide Terrace became the first pupils, day pupils staying at Adelaide Terrace.
In 1938 a chapel and sleeping accommodation for the sisters were built. The old hotel building was demolished in 1963 to make way for a modern building.
In 1977 Loreto Claremont was amalgamated with St. Louis College to become John XXIII College. John XXIII moved to a new site in 1986 and the Claremont site was sold and subsequently developed.