Loreto Ballarat’s gardens have changed over the years but have retained their beauty and history. In this display we have loooked at primary sources in the Archives to find out a little more about the history of the grounds.
The ‘Corrridor Museum’ at Loreto College Ballarat was established early in the history of the school.
A Victorian ‘cabinet of curiosities’, the collection is an eclectic mix of objects some with stories and some simply mysteries.
The exhibition is a pictorial study of Loreto’s history in Ballarat. The Loreto Sisters came to Ballarat from Ireland in 1875 and from this foundation established convents and schools all around Australia.
Mary’s Mount’s first ‘uniform’ was a variety of blouses and skirts either made at home or by the sisters. The basic colour of hyacinth blue, however, was evident from the beginning.
Mother Gonzaga Barry began a teachers’ training college in Ballarat in 1884. It was one of the first tertiary training facilities for women in Australia.
Mary Mackillop and Mary Gonzaga Barry were contemporaries and their paths crossed in their pursuit of providing education for girls in Australia and leading their respective orders.