Enter a keyword, year or series number or select a section or agency below.
A community moved into a small house in Merton Crescent, Albert Park, rented from Mrs O’Neill in 1888 and established a Loreto foundation in Melbourne. Mother Xavier Yourelle became the Superior and Mother Kilian Ball, Mistress of Schools. Nine other sisters and two lay sisters joined the community.
In November Mrs Freeman and her daughter, friends of the nuns, took possession of “Mononia” on their behalf. By the 21st January 1889 the community had settled and opened a school.
Land was purchased from Sir William Clarke at Albert Park and the architect, Mr. William Tappin, was employed to design a convent. The community moved to 51 Canterbury Rd until the new three storey convent ready on 1st August, 1890.
In 1924 Albert Park Day School was closed and many of the students and community moved to Loreto Mandeville Hall in Toorak.
Displaying results 1-3
Letters re Early Foundations of Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide