Enter a keyword, year or series number or select a section or agency below.
In 1884 M. Gonzaga Barry established the Catholic Training College for Teachers at Dawson Street, Ballarat. (St. Joseph’s Primary School had been used for teacher training for novices since 1877.)
The Prospectus stated that the aim of the Catholic Training College was “to supply efficient Teachers for Catholic schools, by training young girls who intend to adopt teaching as a profession.”
It was directed by Mother Hilda Benson who had been trained at Notre Dame, Liverpool, with the highest diplomas from the English Education Board.
Students were admitted at 14 years old for a 5 year course.
The Training College in Dawson Street was closed in 1906 when the Archbishop encouraged a centralised Melbourne college.