Enter a keyword, year or series number or select a section or agency below.
Loreto Convent, formerly Hamilton Academy, was opened as a day school in 1905. The Loreto Sisters at Hamilton also took charge of St. Mary’s Parochial School.
The first Superior was Mother Hilda Benson.
About midway on the train line between Ballarat and Portland, M. Gonzaga referred to it as “the half way house”. The property consisted of a house and other buildings on about four acres of land.
The Hamilton Convent was dedicated to St. Michael and the Holy Angels and the first ceremony to be held at St. Michael’s was St. Michael’s Feast. The first mass was held on 13th June. The school began with 150 children – 100 primary and 50 secondary.
The school was passed to the administration of the Good Samaritan Sisters in 1923.